One of my favorite spiritual books is The Four Agreements by Don Luis Miguel. It’s simple to understand and it makes complete sense on living a full and inner-peaceful life. I have the four other books Don Luiz Miguel wrote and I enjoyed those too. When I read that another book about the Toltec way of life was going to be released, written by Don Miguel Ruiz Jr., I immediately was eager to read it.
The book, entitled “The Five Levels of Attachment,” was released earlier this year. I was in my local library, browsing the new books, and how happy was I when I saw the book. (I must say that my library, Anaheim Central Library, never ceases to amaze me). I borrowed the book and dived right into it.
I finished the book within a week, and during the time I was reading it, I had this calm feeling over me. I knew it was a great book, and now one of my favorites. I plan on buying the book to re-read it throughout my life for reference. In a few words, the book explains that the way we idenifty ourselves is based on emotional attachments to our knowledge and beliefs, but as we are able to free ourselves from these attachments, and accept that our beliefs and ideas are not the one way, we start realize that our abilities and possibilities are truly endless.
Below are my favorite quotes and passages from the book:
- Are you using knowledge, or is knowledge using you?
- Find your way out. Go home and master death by becoming alive.
- Let go of the attachment that you must obtain some image of perfection in order to be happy.
- I am only responsible for what I say; I am not responsible for what you hear.
- I am a living being regardless of my knowledge, which exists only because I exist.
- When we are aware that our assumptions are not necessarily truth but simply possibilities, little discipline is required not to act on them.
- It is time to take your energy back from these things and release your attachments to them. Let go of the fear of what you are without them and what they are without you. When you take back your power from these things, you will no longer identify yourself by them.
- I do not make changes in my life today because I feel I must change in order to accept and love myself; I make changes to express myself and experience more of life, because I already accept and love myself for who I am.
- If you have a chance to read The Five Levels of Attachment, i highly recommend it.